A Texas high school baseball team that suspended activity Jan. 31 due to hazing allegations announced it would resume Tuesday.
The Huntington High School (Texas) team faced “allegations of inappropriate contact, including hazing and possible assault, among various members,” Huntington ISD Superintendent David Flowers told KTRE9 in a statement.
The school principal learned of the accusations Jan. 24. The program was suspended a week later as an investigation was underway.
On Tuesday, the district released a statement saying baseball would resume and players had been punished.
More News!To his sick sister, Lee's (Montgomery, Ala.) Demond Robinson simply ‘Bro-bro’With instant replay approved for high school football, it could be seen in Ohio playoffs
“From the evidence gathered, the District was able to make disciplinary placement decisions removing the offending students from the regular education campus and from participation in all extracurricular activities,” a statement to KTRE9 said.
The press release also said Josh Colvert will take on head coach duties, replacing second-year coach Richard Martinez.
According to the Lufkin Daily News, a parent complained to the principal that her son was being bullied. She also mentioned that players had told her there was hazing and bullying in the locker room.
Specific allegations about the incident were not divulged.
An ongoing investigation of allegations of sexual assault and hazing among members of a Texas high school soccer team continued with the recent arrest of a sixth former team member.
In January, five Forney (Texas) High School athletes – four juveniles and 19-year old Jacob Fischer – were charged and arrested on charges of sexual assault.
RELATED: Five boys soccer players in Texas accused of sexually assaulting teammates
On Nov. 29, as inForney.com and other outlets reported, 19-year old former soccer team member Tyler Teer was arrested on hazing charges and was booked and released from the Kaufman County Sheriff’s Office.
The misdemeanor count carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail.
According to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by WFAA, another Forney soccer player accused Teer of throwing him to the ground and “inserting a finger between” the other student’s buttocks through his practice uniform in January 2017.
In February, sheriff deputies surprised Forney administration with a search warrant and seized evidence.
According to the affidavit, inForney.com reported, a parent initially reached out to school officials in December 2017 via an email to the soccer coach with allegations of sexual assault and rape. The allegations did not get reported to the KCSO until January 2018, per inForney.com.
Per WFAA, the cases against the juveniles have been resolved, with the details not made public.
The sexual assault case against Jacob Fisher still remains pending in Kaufman County’s Justice of the Peace Precinct 1 court, according to online court records obtained by inForney.com.
Authorities told inForney.com that the investigation revealed that many of the perpetrators “had also been victims themselves,” a strong indication that the sexual assaults as hazing had occurred at the school for multiple years.
A source with knowledge of the investigation told WFAA that the investigation into the actions of Forney High employees is still ongoing and “arrests are expected.”
Amidst the investigation into the alleged hazing of an incoming freshman football player at the Reed-Custer High School’s (Braidwood, Ill.) summer football camp, new disturbing allegations have been raised about now-former head coach Mark Wolf.
According to a lawsuit filed by former Reed-Custer student Anthony Brookman, now a sophomore at a different school and the alleged victim of disturbing incidents of hazing at the camp, Wolf typically encouraged disturbing violence in pregame pep talks.
According to Chicago CBS affiliate WBBM, those sentiments included the following:
Wolf, according to today’s lawsuit, encouraged players during pre-game pep-talks to “unleash their inner rapist” or “rip off” the genitalia of the opposing team.
Just think about that for a moment: If true, a high school head football coach was actively inciting rape as a means of ideal behavior for his players just before they took the field. Sure, a coach always needs to motivate his players, but there’s never any place for speaking of rape in any positive light, regardless of the intention.
As one might expect, Wolf refused to address the allegations against him, all of which amounted to a culture of hazing, per Brookman’s lawsuit. That includes the pregame pep talks, particularly any citing a player’s “inner rapist.”
A Central Mass. high school football team’s season is over amid a hazing investigation.
Allegations of hazing involving football players have prompted Worcester (Mass.) Technical High School to cancel the final two games of the season.
“The principal of the technical high school has determined so far, under the code of conduct, that there are students being brought up on long term suspension charges for student assault,” said School Safety Director Robert Pezzella, per WCVB.
School administrators told WCVB and other outlets that they saw video of the alleged incidents posted online, and that the videos date back to early September.
Administrators alleged that more than one student had been hazed.
“This is a very big deal,” Worcester Public Schools superintendent Maureen Binienda told WCVB. “We didn’t cancel it lightly. Once we started the investigation and having conversation, we realized that we had to cancel the season.”
While the investigation is ongoing, the district attorney’s office plans to roll out an anti-hazing program at the school, per WCVB.
According to the Worcester Telegram, at least five of the football players are barred from classes pending the outcome of disciplinary hearings, which are to be held after two days of emergency removal from school, to determine whether they were involved in hazing incidents.
More News!Mississippi high school football player Jeremiah Williams dies from injuriesMoment of silence held for Thousand Oaks bar shooting before playoff game
The varsity team is 1-8 thus far this year and was scheduled to play David Prouty High School (Spencer, Mass.) Friday night and Worcester’s Abby Kelley Foster Charter Public School on Thanksgiving Day. Both games are now cancelled.
David Prouty coach Pat Rossi told the Telegram he had no comment about the situation, other than to say he was “disappointed our program won’t be able to play a game this week. It’s disappointing our kids will be out a game.”
Police are investigating allegations of a serious hazing incident involving members of the junior varsity football team at Damascus (Md.) High School, authorities say.
As the Washington Post reports, investigators are looking into allegations of physical and sexual assault of juvenile students at the school, Montgomery County Police Sgt. Rebecca Innocenti told the Post and other outlets.
Per the Post, Damascus High principal Casey Crouse said in a letter to families that school administrators learned of the allegations Thursday and that the school has forfeited its junior varsity football game vs. Sherwood High School (Sandy Spring, Md.) that was scheduled for Thursday.
The Post reports that school officials say the allegations do not appear to involve the varsity players.
RELATED: Maryland power Damascus wins state record 51st straight game, longest streak in nation
The varsity team at Damascus has won state championships in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and is working on the nation’s longest current winning streak at 51 games.
School system spokesman Derek Turner told the Post that the incident allegedly involved some JV players attacking other JV players and that it happened Wednesday in a locker room.
UPDATE: Multiple sources tell me the hazing at Damascus High School involved a wooden broomstick in a locker room.
Students say cops took at least one accused player in for questioning.
MoCo Police working on a press release. I'll continue to tweet updates as I learn more. pic.twitter.com/o2ywiB2Enl
— Kevin Lewis (@ABC7Kevin) November 1, 2018
The letter from Crouse to parents reads as follows, per WJLA.
Dear Parents and Guardians:
I am writing to inform you of serious allegations involving our students and how they are being addressed. Today, my administration was informed of allegations of hazing by members of the junior varsity football team against their fellow team members. These allegations are being investigated by the Montgomery County Police Department. At this time, the allegations are unrelated to the varsity football team.
The alleged behavior is upsetting and unacceptable and will not be tolerated at Damascus HS. In response to these allegations, we have forfeited today’s junior varsity football game. Any student who is found to have hazed another student will be disciplined in accordance with the MCPS Student Code of Conduct and may also face legal consequences.
Damascus High School is committed to the safety of all students. While this is an ongoing investigation, I cannot provide any additional information about this matter at this time.
Thank you for your continued support for our school and students.